The Université de Montréal is an internationally renowned French-language institution. This English web portal has only the most frequently consulted pages from our French site. Please refer to our French website for up-to-date news.
PhD in Computer Science
Do you have a passion for research? Would you like to directly influence the state of the art in advanced computer science? Do you want to work with world-renowned experts in academia and industry on the important problems that will shape the future? Then the PhD in Computer Science is the ideal program for you!
Most of this program is devoted to advancing knowledge in this field, by conducting research and devising new solutions to important open problems.
The program culminates in a thesis that opens up new avenues of research while solving an important set of problems in your chosen area of expertise.
Prior to the thesis-writing stage, PhD candidates will be evaluated on their general knowledge in computer science and, at a later stage of their training, the candidates' knowledge of their chosen area of specialization will also be evaluated. The final evaluation for a PhD involves the defence of the candidate's work.
Questions about this program?
Monnier, Stefan, associate professor: 514 343-6111 #47617
- All about this program (in French)
- Find a thesis supervisor
- Financial assistance
- Job outlook for graduates in this discipline
- Comprehensive examination (pre-doc) (in French)
The advantages of studying computer science at the UdeM!
- The chance to work with world-renowned professors in a wide range of exciting research laboratories and groups, including cutting-edge work in video games and computer graphics, artificial intelligence, computation linguistics and quantum computing, just to name a few.
- The Université de Montréal ranks 42nd in the world in operations research according to the QS Rankings and 81st in the world in computer science according to the NTU Rankings.